Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The first of many NY beer reviews to get you ready for Oktoberfest!



In my previous post I mentioned one of my favorite dips which I found while vacationing in the Coooperstown, NY area. While on that same trip I found what I consider to be one of the best breweries in the north east. It's called Brewery Ommegang, and is located in Cooperstown, not too far from the downtown area. Driving up to it I knew it was going to be something special. It's set back from the road on a well manicured property, which is in start contrast to the forests and fields around them. The brewery offers guided tours, offering detailed explanations about the brewing process for their various beers. Don't fret, you won't be leaving empty handed. At the end of the tour you arrive in a tasting room and can sample each of the beers you just heard about. The beers are crisp, and each have a distinct flavor. I found myself particularly drawn to the Witte and the Hennipen the most, and am fortunate to still be able to purchase these locally at Wegmans. The beers themselves do have a higher price tag on them than most of the mass-produced beers you are probably familiar with. Don't let that fool you! The beers, even in their smallest 4-pack size, are stronger and have more flavor than most other beers you've tried. And if you get their larger sizes you'll find the bottle is perfect for sharing.


Next time you're looking for a new beer, particularly one made right here in New York State, check out any of the brews available from Brewery Ommegang. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment